We must have an explanation
A FORMER leader of Swansea Council has asked ruling councillors to explain why another search for the best place for a new travellers site will come up with a different result than the last.
On Monday the council decided to reject a recommendation to develop traveller sites in either Fforestfach or Llansamlet.
In an email, leaked to the Evening Post ahead of Monday's extraordinary council meeting, council leader David Phillips raised "significant and fundamental" concerns over the report, which has been put together by officers working for the authority.
Now Liberal Democrat group leader, Chris Holley, who also leads the opposition, said Mr Phillips should explain how the process for choosing sites will now be different from the one which led him to have concerns over where the new site should be.
Mr Holley said: "The fact is that the process will still be followed for any new site, so we could end up with the same list of sites.
''As a result the leader must now come forward with his explanation.
"Or we will see that his intervention was down to the fact his Labour group told him to pull the report or face a vote of no confidence in his leadership."
Mr Holley, who led the council administration before the last election, added: "The public of Swansea deserve better from the council than the actions of the Labour group at the council meeting.
"It is quite clear that after being in control for the last year and a half, and two outside studies, to then start to look again for new sites just goes to show how out of touch the Labour Party are with the public in their wards. But you should not expect any different when you have councillors elected on a party ticket rather than the work done in the ward."
The call comes after Swansea Council asked its cabinet to look at more potential sites for travellers in Swansea, including privately owned land, after throwing out a recommendation to develop plots in either Fforestfach, at the former greyhound racing track, or at land off Peniel Green Road in Llansamlet.
The decision means there is still no end in sight to the long-running process to find a second site for travellers in Swansea.