Woman and son escape burning flat at Bishopston near Swansea
A woman and her son escaped their burning flat near Swansea after being woken from their sleep by a fire alarm.
A substantial fire broke out on the stairway landing of the building but they were able to get out in time using an external staircase.
Fire crews say the smoke alarm saved the pair from possibly very serious injuries.
Appliances from Swansea West and Swansea Central attended the fire at the two storey property in Bishopston in the early hours of yesterday morning.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
On approaching the first floor flat, fire crews were faced with the fire on the landing and stairwell. They tackled the blaze using four breathing apparatus sets, two hose reel jets and a thermal imaging camera.
Station Manager Mark Shepherd who attended the scene with crews said, "Without a doubt, the presence of working smoke detectors in this flat saved the occupiers from sustaining serious injuries.
"The early warning sign, initiated by the smoke alarms, enabled the mother and her son to escape the property while the fire was still in its early stages and before it had fully developed. I cannot stress enough the importance of fitting working smoke alarms in your property, as this incident shows. If you haven't installed them already, please do so, otherwise you might not be so lucky".
Crews spent a significant amount of time after the blaze damping down using a positive pressure ventilation fan and cutting away the damaged stair joists and flooring to ensure no further damage or risk to the building and adjoining properties.
If you do not have a smoke alarm, you can call 0800 169 1234 or visit the web site at www.mawwfire.gov.uk