Wife claims husband's quadruple bypass op cancelled three times
A DISMAYED wife claimed her husband’s heart operation was called off for a third time due to a theatre staff shortage.
But the claim by Amanda Williams relating to Morriston Hospital’s cardiac unit has been disputed by Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University (ABMU) Health Board, which said the op had been called off twice.
Mrs Williams said the waiting had taken its toll on her, her husband Paul, his mother and the couple’s son, Tony.
“Paul was very, very stressed, upset and nervous,” she said.
“On Monday he had been given the pre-med treatment and had had nothing to eat or drink since midnight.”
There was better news today as 48-year-old Mr Williams, of Llwynhendy, Llanelli, went under the knife at the cardiac unit. His quadruple bypass operation appeared to have gone well.
Mrs Williams said he was an unlikely candidate for such major surgery. “He doesn’t drink or smoke, and he’s not overweight,” she said.
However, she said heart disease ran in his family.
Six weeks ago Mr Williams complained of chest pains, which his wife said were later found to have been a heart attack. He was taken to Prince Philip Hospital, Llanelli, and from there to Morriston.
An ABMU spokeswoman said: “Unfortunately, we sometimes have to postpone operations. These decisions are not taken lightly and we fully appreciate how upsetting it can be for patients and their family. The patient’s clinical team are involved in the decision making and we always aim to reschedule the operation as soon as possible. We apologise to the patient and family for any upset caused.”
She said Mr Williams had been admitted as an in-patient last week, during which time the operation had been postponed twice.
Mrs Williams was adamant that there had been a previous cancellation on September 26.