Union plan health chiefs meeting
UNION officials have said they will discuss the questions and concerns raised at this week’s public meetings with the health board.
Andrew O’Leary, secretary of Unison’s ABMU health branch said: “Nobody from the health board has decided to attend so obviously questions in relation to your concerns we might not be able to answer.
“But we will take them on board and we will be meeting (chief executive) Paul Roberts next Wednesday.”
Mr O’Leary said there had been a long and well-documented history over the years of people in Neath Port Talbot having to fight to retain health services locally.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
“We are keen to work with the community and seek your views on what should be provided in Neath Port Talbot Hospital in future and what services are acceptable to be accessed elsewhere within the health board, given this is going to entail at least two bus journeys for many patients.”
Mr O’Leary said the majority of medical emergencies involved elderly people.
“Is it right, in such a largely populated area with some of the worst health statistics in the UK, that we are only seeing two hospitals taking patients?
“A lot of people have said this (the loss of acute medicine) is the final straw.
“They are asking: with such a fine facility built 10 to 12 years ago, that we have to pay for over the next 20 years, is it proper that this facility is not going to be providing the locally accessible services we expect?”