Toddler rushed to A&E - after being served whisky in a Swansea restaurant
A TWO-YEAR-OLD child was rushed to hospital after drinking from a glass of whisky which was accidentally served to him in a Swansea restaurant.
Sonny Rees was served the spirit, mixed with water, and drank from the glass through straws after being taken to Frankie and Benny’s restaurant in the city centre to celebrate his second birthday.
It is thought the family’s order became mixed up with that from another table.
Restaurant bosses have now apologised for serving the youngster with alcohol.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
Around 10 of Sonny’s extended family, including grandparents and uncles and aunts, visited the restaurant in Wind Street to celebrate his birthday last Saturday, as well that of another family member. But it was not until they were finishing their first course that they realised the mix-up.
Mum Nina said: “I immediately went into a panic and a rage.
“I was crying my eyes out, and called NHS Direct, which told me to take him straight to A&E.
“I felt the reaction of staff at first was awful.
“They said it couldn’t have happened, and just went and got him some water and walked off. I felt they more or less dismissed me.
“We had gone in just after noon and I had ordered him water and cordial.
“I realised what Sonny had been drinking when I had to retrieve a dropped toy from his glass and I could smell the whisky on it.
“I think there was a stag do in there at the same time and that the drinks had been accidentally mixed up.
“Because he was eating salty things I had been encouraging him to drink.”
The birthday meal, for which they had bought two special birthday cakes, was abandoned while Sonny’s parents took him to Morriston Hospital.
He was asleep by the time he arrived at A&E and was later given the all-clear by medics following tests. But after getting back to the family home in Pontarddulais, he was sick.
Managers at the restaurant gave the family a 50 per cent discount to the bill and called the family the following day to apologise.
Managers at Frankie and Benny’s said: “The company is incredibly sorry for what happened. It was a human error and we are putting measures in place to ensure it never happens again.”