Swansea babysitter's terror at intruder
A LATE-NIGHT intruder barged into a Swansea home and ripped clumps of hair out of a terrified babysitter's head, it has been claimed.
Michael Davies, 18, said the stranger forced his way in to the Manselton home at around 12.30am on Sunday morning.
At the time Mr Davies was looking after his sister's six-year-old son and four-year-old daughter, who were tucked up in bed.
Mr Davies said he didn't recognise the man, whose conduct quickly gave cause for concern when he arrived at the Phillip Street property.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
"There was a knock at the door, and I thought it was my sister coming home," said Mr Davies, a Gower College Swansea student.
"I opened the door and he barged his way in. He was a total stranger. I tried to tell him he was at the wrong house."
Mr Davies, of Blaenymaes, said the stranger threatened him and then followed him upstairs when he ran up to protect the children.
He said the man grabbed hold of him upstairs, triggering a terrifying struggle while Mr Davies dialled 999 on his mobile phone. "He ripped out my hair and was choking me," he said.
"I told the kids to run and hide."
Mr Davies said the struggle lasted several minutes, and that eventually the intruder grabbed his phone and cut off the call to the police.
Mr Davies alleged that at one stage the man was trying to throw him down the stairs.
The teenager then broke free and made his escape with the intruder locking the front door — with the children still inside.
"I was screaming to the neighbours for help," said Mr Davies. "The kids were completely terrified."
He said the police then arrived and that the intruder, who Mr Davies said was aged around 40 to 45, left the house.
"He told them he was going to bed," said Mr Davies.
Before long his sister, and relatives of hers, returned to the property and took the children to another house.
"She was screaming, and carried her kids out," said Mr Davies.
He said he thought the man had been arrested on the spot, but the Post understands that no charges were pressed on the night and that officers escorted the intruder away.
Mr Davies said it was his intention to press charges — and police have confirmed they want to find the man.
A spokesman for South Wales Police said: "Officers are investigating an allegation of assault on an 18-year-old man which occurred during the early hours of Sunday, October 7 at Phillip Street, Manselton, and enquiries are on going to trace the assailant."
The father of the two children, Christopher Montenegro, said the youngsters had been traumatised and that the family now planned to move out after just three weeks at the property.
"I am relieved that my children were not harmed physically but this has severely damaged them mentally," he said.
"And I want to know why this man was not arrested on the night for doing what he did."