Swansea traveller camp is dispersed
AN illegal traveller encampment in Swansea has dispersed, although two caravans remain nearby.
The 10-caravan encampment set up in July in a lane off Mill Stream Way, Llansamlet.
Earlier this month, ward councillor Bob Clay urged the council to speed up the process of moving the travellers on.
A council spokeswoman confirmed the site had been cleared very soon after Mr Clay voiced his concerns.
She added: "There are currently two caravans on a different location on Mill Stream Way.
"One of these is on private land, the other location is council-owned and we are currently in discussions with the landowners and families about the way forward."
The Post understands that the travellers who formed the main illegal encampment have left the city.
A local resident, who asked to remain anonymous, said another small traveller group had also left from land close to Dawnus Construction, Riverside Business Park, Llansamlet.
The area is home to an official site on Pantyblawd Road and a tolerated one near Swansea Vale.
And Llansamlet is in the running — along with Cockett, Gorseinon and Penderry wards — to house a second, official travellers' site, although no decision has yet been made.
The resident said the increased traveller count had caused alarm in the area.
He said: "It was seen, justifiably or not, as travellers trying to establish a presence before the council decides where the second site is going.
"The feeling is that, even if we get the new site in Llansamlet, we are still going to get this (overspill), because one family will claim rights to the new site and another will come and set up alongside."
Llansamlet councillors have said a petition opposing a second, official site had 5,500 signatures — around half the ward's total electorate.
Mr Clay, speaking at a public meeting at Birchgrove Community Centre on August 6, said: "We want normal life to return to normal, but that does not mean by having more sites in Llansamlet."