Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins calls for normality after debate on the ballboy - Hazard incident
SWANS Chairman Huw Jenkins has called for people to move on following the international debate over the ballboy, the Chelsea striker, the kick and the red card.
Charlie Morgan, the 17-year-old son of Swans director Martin Morgan, was thrown into the spotlight on Wednesday evening when, while acting as a ball boy during Swansea's Capital One semi-final second leg against Chelsea, he was apparently kicked by Chelsea striker Eden Hazard after appearing to lay on the ball.
Hazard, who received his marching orders, later said that he was trying to dislodge the ball.
The Swans later released a statement saying that both parties had agreed to shake hands.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
However, police also received complaints from members of the public which they said they were obliged to follow up. They have since confirmed they are no longer involved.
Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins has now also spoken about the incident in the hope of putting it to bed.
He said: "On a personal note I find it remarkable that there is any thought of police action.
"I want everything to get back to normal as quickly as we can, move on and look forward to our next game against Sunderland.
"Things are done in the heat of the moment and probably everybody looks back and wishes things had been done differently. We accept how things are and all move forward."
Former Swans boss Brendan Rodgers has also commented, saying: “I know Charlie well actually. It’s an unfortunate incident. He is trying to get the ball back and no-one wants to see that happening.
“I’m not sure it was intentional by Hazard.
“I’ve heard all the nonsense that he should face criminal charges. Certainly not.
“Ball boys are well tuned in to what’s going on in games.
“There may have been a bit of gamesmanship from Charlie, but as I say he’s a good boy.”
QPR manager Harry Redknapp, meanwhile, said he sympathised with Hazard and held Morgan responsible for the incident.
"Hazard toe-poked the ball under the boy's body. Why is the kid lying on the ball in the first place?" he said.
Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg has also waded into the debate telling LBC Radio: "My early judgment is, this is going to sound like painful fence-sitting, but I think they are both at fault.
"Hazard absolutely should not have done what he did, that was absolutely out of order. But the ball boy did seem to kind of cover the ball, which is frustrating for a player."