Swansea Valley homes evacuated as crews alerted to gas leak 'caused by work'
A MAN doing work outside a Swansea Valley house is believed to have sparked an evacuation of neighbouring properties.
Emergency services were called to William Street, in Trebanos, yesterday afternoon.
It followed a report of a ruptured gas pipe leading into a single property.
Police and members of Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service asked residents of the small cul de sac to leave their homes while the matter was investigated.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
The gas leak was thought to originate from a property where a mini-digger had been at work on the front lawn.
Its occupants did not want to comment.
One resident, who did not want to be named, said: "When I came home there were police cars and fire engines everywhere and they had evacuated the street.
"I think there was a gas leak. One chap had hired a mini-digger and was working in his front garden. They were able to turn the gas off and people were allowed back into their homes while men from the gas company fixed it. It's better to be safe than sorry."
A workman at the scene said he expected the repair operation to take a couple of hours.
A fire service spokeswoman said: "We were called to William Street, Trebanos, at 1.47pm.
"We had one appliance from Pontardawe in attendance after a gas mains pipe was ruptured because a workman was digging. There were eight to 10 houses evacuated. The gas company also went there."
A spokesman for Wales and West Utilities said: "We were alerted to a gas escape from a damaged gas service in the garden of a house in William Street, Trebanos, this afternoon.
"Our engineer attended the site, made the supply safe and carried out a repair. The gas service to the customer has now been restored.
"If people smell gas they should call the national gas emergency number — 0800 111 999."