Swansea Valley homeowners' fury over £5k payout over landslip claim
HOMEOWNERS in a land-slipped Swansea Valley street have been left furious, after it was revealed they could be paid just under £5,000 if their houses have to be bought by the local authority.
Thirteen homes in Panteg, Ystalyfera, were evacuated on December 22, after tonnes of mud and debris slid down the rock surface, blocking the road.
But just over a month after the incident, people living in the street were told during a meeting of the community council's residents' association that if a compulsory purchase order of their homes had to be made by Neath Port Talbot Council, the "statutory amount" payable would be £4,600.
The news came on Thursday evening, just hours ahead of a visit by Neath MP Peter Hain on Friday.
Marie Scott and husband Kain Scott have been left reeling on hearing the news — especially as their property was valued at £150,000 only last year.
"We've got a load of land and everything out the back of our property," said Mrs Scott.
"We've got a mortgage. There are some people on the street who own their properties outright though.
"If they think we're going to accept that, well I'm not going anywhere."
Mrs Scott said she was again beginning to worry, with the forecast showing more wet weather for the region.
She said: "It really does worry me, to be honest.
"On Saturday night I was worrying, with the thunder and the rain coming down, because I can remember the rain on the night it happened.
"We haven't got any streetlights at the moment, so it's pitch black out there.
"It's a case of keeping the TV down low, and trying to keep our ears open for any cracking or other noise."
Work is due to start at the site this week to clear the road to the properties.
Ward councillor Alun Llewelyn was unable to comment on any monetary issues, but said progress was being made and a survey was being carried out by specialist engineers Jacobs.