Swansea City hopeful of late swoop for Dutch ace Jerson Cabral
SWANSEA City could conclude their summer transfer business before tonight’s 11pm deadline by signing Jerson Cabral.
Swansea had been pursuing Marvin Emnes but have now turned their attention to another Dutch forward, Feyenoord starlet Cabral.
The 21-year-old has reportedly been watched by a number of Premier League clubs in recent months, with Spurs and Newcastle both mentioned as admirers.
But Swansea are working on a last-minute swoop for the Dutch Under-21 international, who has made more than 50 appearances for Feyenoord after coming through the youth ranks at the club.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
He could arrive at the Liberty for something in the region of £1.25 million.
Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins revealed Emnes was on a list of possible targets at the Liberty earlier in the week.
But after sealing a £5.5 million deal for Pablo Hernandez, it seems Michael Laudrup has shelved plans to add Emnes to his squad because of the asking price.
Boro are thought to want at least £5 million for Emnes.
And though there was talk at one stage of Stephen Dobbie moving to the Riverside in part exchange, Swansea have now turned their attention elsewhere.
“We may make one more signing,” Jenkins told the Post last night, “but it will not be Marvin Emnes.
“There have been a lot of possibilities mentioned and he was one of them.”
Swansea have also been linked with yet another move in the Spanish market, with Getafe winger Diego Castro and Espanyol forward Alvaro Vazquez among the names who have been mentioned.
Swansea have a long-standing interest Bristol City winger Albert Adomah, but it appears he will not be heading for Wales today.
Dobbie could yet end up at Ashton Gate, with City understood to be one of a number of Championship clubs interested in the Scot.
Leroy Lita also looks to be heading for the Liberty exit door, with Crystal Palace favourites to take him on loan.
Blackburn have been linked with Luke Moore, but he seems unlikely to move on given that he is close to the Swansea first team.
Two players who are definitely heading out are Andrea Orlandi, who is heading for Brighton, and Swindon-bound Fede Bessone.
Both players cancelled their contracts at Swansea, freeing them to join their new clubs.
Midfielder Orlandi leaves after scoring three goals in 90 appearances since joining Swansea back in 2007.
And Bessone departs the Liberty for a second time having made only two appearances since rejoining the club for a second time 12 months ago.
Swansea, meantime, may fail in their attempt to add promising Crewe skipper Ashley Westwood to their development squad.
Swansea had targeted the 22-year-old midfielder but he could leave the Alex for another club where he is more likely to get game-time, with Blackpool one of those said to be interested.
“We have been talking to Crewe but I don’t know whether that one will come off,” Jenkins said.
“We have discussed all angles on it. The boy has got other options and some players weigh up whether they are going to play regularly or not before deciding what they will do.”
Swansea expect their season-long loan move for Israeli frontman Itay Shechter to be rubber-stamped before tonight’s deadline after complications with the paperwork.
If the likes of Dobbie and Lita do not move on today, they could depart when the emergency loan window opens in the Football League in a week’s time.
Club skipper Garry Monk, who is currently struggling with a back injury, could also depart for Bristol City then.