Swansea City: Michael Laudrup insists squad remains focused ahead of Wigan clash
MICHAEL Laudrup has insisted there is no dressing room “situation” to deal with at Swansea City ahead of tomorrow’s Premier League collision with Wigan.
Laudrup had to field a host of questions about alleged player unrest at the Liberty yesterday in his pre-match press conference.
It was the first time the Swansea manager had faced the media since reports surfaced in the national press last week suggesting senior members of his squad were unhappy with his approach.
It is understood Laudrup was deeply disappointed about the nature of those stories.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
But he says chairman Huw Jenkins has said nothing to him about discussions he has held with some players concerning Swansea’s managerial regime.
And Laudrup is determined to ensure Ashley Williams and Co now concentrate on what looks a potentially key fixture this weekend.
“You can always ask me any question you want, but if we talk about too many other things apart from the game, we will lose focus,” said the Swansea boss.
“That’s not good, especially before a game that we really want to win.
“I don’t really think there is a situation to deal with anyway.
“We all know that when we don’t win games, there’s a possibility that some negative things will be said.
“But if there was a situation, then the first one to know about it would be me or the chairman.
“Really it’s not an issue. Maybe some players who are not playing are not happy, that’s normal at any club, but there’s not a situation.”
Jenkins has given his public backing to Laudrup in the wake of the unrest stories.
The Swansea supremo can be seen regularly at the club’s training ground, and Laudrup reckons talk of meetings involving him and players is no big deal.
“Everybody knows the chairman is at training a lot, he talks to the players a lot and that’s normal,” he added.
“I have a great relationship with him even though we have only known each other for three months.
“One thing we have in common is that we will never let any person, and I said person not player, jeopardise the harmony of the group. We talk to each other every week and if there was something we would have spoken about it.
“If there was a problem the chairman would have called me and said there are a few things we need to talk about.
“He hasn’t done that, and I don’t see so much in all this.
“As long as we are all going in the same direction there’s no problem, and that’s the way it is at this club.
“I know that negative stories mostly come out when you don’t win games, and we have to admit that we have not won for a few games in the league.
“But I don’t give it so much importance.
“It’s a week ago and for me it was case closed days ago. I want to look ahead to the next game.”
Laudrup revealed he has spoken to the majority of his players in the wake of the controversial reports, though he would not discuss what was said.
He believes the original story, which claimed there was a player rebellion in SA1, has been blown out of proportion.
“This happens everywhere in football, especially when you don’t win games,” the 48-year-old said.
“But it’s important to know what level we are talking about here, and I have been in football long enough not to get carried away about this.
“I am not criticising the media, but this story got bigger and bigger as it went to the different places and different parts of the media.
“It’s like I had a tiny bump in my car in the morning, then by the end of the day the headline is ‘Michael is being investigated by the police’.
“It was one little story in the morning and then it went through the media and suddenly it was a big story in Denmark and Spain, but it is not a big thing for me.”