South Wales travel updates and school closures due to snow
ROADS: 3pm update: The main M4 carriageway at Bridgend has re-opened on M4 eastbound at J37, A4229 (Pyle).
* The M48 Severn Bridge is closed due to gritting but the M4 Second Severn Crossing is open and traffic is believed to be flowing freely.
* The A483 Carmarthenshire is just passable between the M4 J49 and Lon Tir-Y-Dail between Pont Abraham Roundabout in Fforest and Ammanford due to weather conditions.
* There was a minor accident in the Afan Valley this morning when a Vauxhall Astra skidded on ice and hit a lamppost in Afan Road, Dyffryn Rhondda.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
It happened at around 7am and police confirmed there were no injuries.
Wales Air Abulance said on Facebook today: "Our helicopters are still online during this weather, some of our paramedics and pilots are sleeping at base to make sure they can save you!"
AIRPORTS: Snow is disrupting flights at Bristol Airport, see their website for more information.
Flights at Heathrow and Southampton have been cancelled.
10.30am update: The runway at Cardiff airport has re-opened and the airport is now able to accept flights.
A spokesman said: "Please be aware that flights can continue to be cancelled by airlines and customers should continue to check the latest information on the airport and their airline websites.
"If you are journeying to the airport please be aware of difficult driving conditions and disruption to public transport. Please check travel information websites and allow extra time for the journey to the airport."
8.30am: Flights have been cancelled from Cardiff Aiport due to snow. Passsengers are advised to check the Cardiff Airport website for any further updates.
HOSPITALS: The majority of operations that were planned and all out-patient appointments at Neath Port Talbot, Morriston, Bridgend and Singleton Hospital have been cancelled.
An ABM spokesperson said: "In view of the prediction of freezing temperatures for the rest of the weekend we have decided to cancel the majority of operations that were planned and all out-patient appointments at all our hospitals.
"We will be concentrating on making sure we can staff our emergency and urgent care services safely during this period.
"Also, we will need to review our planned services for Monday depending on how the weekend progresses. We apologise for any disruption and thank our staff for their commitment and efforts in getting into work despite the adverse weather.
A South Wales Police spokesman advised travellers to be extremely cautious when making any journey.
"The Traffic Wales website will be updated with all road closures and transport link information and officers are urging everyone to check the details of their journey before leaving home this morning including public transport via bus and rail.
"Where travel is necessary, drivers should make use of main roads and avoid less used routes, allow extra time for their journey and ensure they allow an appropriate distance between them and the vehicle ahead."
BUSES: The following bus services are affected: 18th January (8.35am)
Greyhound service 100 is currently suspended.
West Wales area:
Service 302 is now running normally.
349 Normal service except that it is not running via Manorbier village.
Llanelli & Carmarthen:
Service X11 Carmarthen - Swansea running.
110-112 running main roads only, with delays.
Service 195 suspended.
No services via Penyfan at Llanelli.
All Ammanford area services suspended.
Swansea and Swansea Valley area:
Services 2, 2A, 2B, 2C, 4, 4A (Mumbles/Morriston) are running on main roads only to Oystermouth or Morriston. Normal timetables suspended.
Services 20-21A are running main road only to Killay.
Service X21 is terminating at Clydach - not serving Craig Cefn Parc or Graig Felen. 121 delayed by traffic accident.
Service 120 running Swansea to Ystradgynlais only.
Service X22 Pontardawe to Neath suspended.
Swansea Park & Ride - we are now sending buses out to try running Fabian Way and Landore services.
All other Swansea services suspended.
Neath and Port Talbot, Bridgend and Maesteg areas:
Service 8 to Sandfields currently running normally.
Service 157 Swansea - Neath now suspended.
Service 158 Neath to Banwen section suspended.
Service 224 Swansea - Porthcawl running to Port Talbot only.
Service 226 Neath to Port Talbot now suspended as we aree unable to run through Baglan and Briton Ferry.
Service 227 Neath to Port Talbot running normally.
X1 running Swansea and Neath to Port Talbot only.
Services 3, 13, 15, X2, X3, 23, 23G, 30, 32, 36, 1, 59, 141, 151/2, 901 and all other Bridgend services suspended.
RAIL: Visit https://www.journeycheck.com/arrivatrainswales for rail updates.
* Cefn Hengoed leisurer centre is closed.
* Housing Options on High Street and all District Housing Offices are open
* All community leisure centres, Swansea Museum, Plantasia and the Grand Theatre are open.
* All libraries are open, apart from Townhill and St Thomas.
* All sports fixtures on park pitches across Swansea have been cancelled this weekend.
* Park offices are functioning and tree workers are out responding to calls.
* Social services: All day services for adults are closed but residential care is operating as normal.
* All Swansea schools are closed but comprehensive schools that have exams are open. Transport providers are unable to operate, so exam pupils attending school need to make own arrangements.
* Park and ride not operating at present.
* Refuse and recycling services scheduled for today have been cancelled.
* The Contact Centre and Council telephone services are available as normal.
* All non-emergency work due to be undertaken by the Corporate Building and Property services team has been put on hold. Staff are on hand in 4 x 4 vehicles to respond to emergencies.
* Burials, cremations and funerals are operating as normal.
* A full gritting run was carried out last night at both 7.30pm and 3am. District shopping centres including Pontarddulais and Morriston have been gritted.
You can access emergency numbers for all council departments here http://www.swansea.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=109
THEATRE: Tonight's show at Swansea's Grand Theatre 'Hold Back The Night!' is postponed due to the severe weather, details of new date will be released asap.
Tonight's performance of Aladdin at Theatrau Sir Gar has been Postponed until 6pm Sunday. Tickets will be valid.
Volunteers at a community cinema will be walking to through the snow to ensure that tonight’s film at Cross Hands Hall will be shown.
“We had a couple of enquiries from our regular Friday evening customers asking if the cinema would be open and we thought - if they are making the effort to come, we won’t disappoint them,” said Hall manager Tracy Thomas.
Doors open at the cinema tonight at 6.30pm for a 7pm start of the film Life of Pi.
More info from http://www.crosshands-hall.co.uk/