Skewen home to be demolished for entrance to new estate
SKEWEN homeowner has been bought out by a developer who needs to demolish the property to create an entrance for a new estate, the local councillor claims.
Barratt Homes bought out the homeowner so it can create an entrance for its new Crymlyn Grove development of 76 homes, according to Coedffranc West Councillor Harry Bebell.
“They need a new entrance so they have to knock down one of their new homes,” he said.
“They gave the resident who was living there a better offer so they bought it back off them.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Wednesday, May 22 2013
“They had been there for around 12 months.”
The housing development, which has been granted permission with conditions, was criticised by residents who wrote 15 letters of objection.
Residents expressed concerns that the demolition would create a disturbance and the new access road would create a dangerous situation with cars and buses turning.
Coedffranc Community Council also objected on the grounds that the development would exclude people from crossing an existing right of way, and expressed concerns of flooding and of over-development.
To deal with these issues Barratt’s will provide a footway/cycleway which will connect onto Serecold Avenue.
Surface water drainage will be disposed via a soakaway system in an allotment area which the developer will be providing.
Mr Bebell said he hopes residents will not be affected too much by the development.
“It was a controversial plan for a few residents that were concerned about it,” he said.
He added that many councillors had their say about the application at the planning committee meeting.
“Lots of questions were asked as they were trying to get answers because something like this could come to their ward,” he said.
He said hopefully flooding won’t be an issue as gardens in Crymlyn Grove have already had problems because the drainage system cannot cope with capacity.
“We will have to wait and see when the new houses are built and if there are any flooding issues they will have to be addressed,” he said.
Barratt technical director Huw Llewellyn said they were “extremely pleased” to have secured planning permission.
She said: “This site is allocated in the council’s local development plan for residential development and Barratt will continue to provide much needed high quality private and affordable housing for the local community.
“Prior to work commencing on the new phase, Barratt will liaise with the council and local community to minimise the effects of construction.”