Sex abuse claims are all made up, says defendant
A SWANSEA man accused of abusing girls since the 1980s has told a court his victims made up the allegations, hoping to receive compensation.
Brian Leighton Sturley of Robert Street, Manselton, is facing 26 counts including rape, indecent assault, indecency with a child, assault by penetration and inciting a child to engage in sexual activity on seven alleged victims from 1986.
On the opening day of the defence case at Swansea Crown Court he took to the stand and said: "I think they're all lying. It's all lies what has been said here. It never happened. None of it."
Sturley, 56, told the jury he had heard that when confronted, one of the victims had said she wanted compensation.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
He said a campaign about the allegations had been "orchestrated" against him.
Two of the victims came forward after an earlier court hearing was reported in the Post.
During cross-examination prosecuting barrister James Jenkins asked Sturley: "You think that they're lying for money?"
Sturley replied: "If that's what you say, yes. I think they're all lying."
Mr Jenkins said: "They're all making it up."
Sturley replied: "Yes."
Later Mr Jenkins asked: "They're willing to make up lies, dreadful things?"
Sturley said: "Yes, the worst that can happen to a man."
Mr Jenkins said: "To make money?"
Sturley replied: "Yes."
Sturley, who has previously worked as a coach driver, suffered a stroke in 2009.
He said he could have not have committed sexual offences after this time because of a side-effect caused by the stroke.
Sturley told the court immediately after the stroke he could not stand unaided. He said he needed to crawl up stairs on his hands and knees so he did not fall, and said he continued to walk with a stick today.
Ian Wright, representing Sturley, took his client through the individual allegations made by the victims. He continued to reply "no" to each allegation put to him.
During questioning by his barrister Sturley said: "I never asked for any of this to happen to me at all."
At the opening of the prosecution case, Mr Jenkins said Brian Sturley was a "sexual predator". He said he had been operating "for decades".
Opening the case last week Mr Jenkins said: "He groomed them, had sex with them against their will. And when they found the courage to have shown resistance to these advances he ditched them and moved on to the next one."
The trial will continue next week with the jury expected to retire to consider their verdict on Wednesday.