Rhoshill boy escapes from upstairs window in third house fire in a week
THE fire service is again urging people to get smoke alarms fitted after a house fire where a boy had to escape from an upstairs window.
It comes within days of two other house fires in the area — in one case where a five year old girl escaped from a loft.
In this latest incident, fire fighters from Crymych and Cardigan were called to a property in Rhoshill, just south of Cardigan, in the early hours of yesterday (Wednesday) morning.
Fire service spokeswoman Holly Wood said: "The fire at the property was out on arrival and had been contained to the building's biomass boiler.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
"On arrival, crews were met with a heavily smoke-logged property. They entered using four breathing apparatus, a hose reel jet and a thermal imaging camera.
"They led two adults and two dogs to safety. The adult's son was able to escape through an upstairs window."
Station manager Simon Jenkins, who attended the incident, added: "Fortunately, this boiler was self-extinguishing meaning the fire was contained. But this incident serves as a timely reminder of the importance of ensuring the presence of adequate smoke detection in all domestic properties, even those undergoing renovation.
"If you and your family are living on site during the period of renovation, we would strongly recommend the installation of temporary single point detectors, until the building is ready for the installation of hard wired systems, which should then be tested and certified."
On March 9, firemen from Newcastle Emlyn were called to a fire at a house in the village of Capel Iwan.
A working smoke alarm had awoken the family and they were able to escape in time.
The following day, firefighters were called to a house in Station Road, Newcastle Emlyn, where a fire in a kitchen had filled the building with smoke. A man was rescued by the firemen.