Resolven residents dig on over rubbish row with Neath Port Talbot Council
DEFIANT residents have vowed not to drag their rubbish through their homes for collection.
Neath Port Talbot Council has announced it will no longer collect rubbish and recyclable waste from back lanes from a small number of streets.
This, it said, was partly for health and safety reasons but also to improve efficiency.
But villagers in four Resolven streets affected by the changes are digging in their heels and refusing to comply.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Wednesday, May 22 2013
Around 65 of them attended a public meeting in the Cam Gears Club after Christmas, along with their county councillor Des Davies and Neath AM Gwenda Thomas.
Resident Polly Davies, who lives with husband Ken in John Street, said a committee had been formed and was due to meet again today to discuss the way forward.
"At the first meeting we were advised by our councillor and AM that we should continue to put our rubbish and bins out in our back lanes, as we have done for more than 100 years," said Mrs Davies.
"The council is proposing to take away our bins and given us black bags, which are not recyclable. We would then have to carry them through our homes and put out on our narrow front pavement.
"Our bins have been used for decades without any expense outside the original cost to buy them. The council has paid out hundreds of thousands of our tax monies to purchase purpose built lorries with bin lifts."
Mrs Davies claimed the council had not even delivered black bags to many houses.
"Speaking for myself and my husband we have no intention of using them," she added.