Readers share the pain of access-row rugby star
EVENING Post readers have shared some of the frustrations felt by former Welsh rugby captain Colin Charvis, following his one-man protest against on-going city centre roadworks.
The former British Lion watched his 4 x 4 vehicle being towed away on Monday, after refusing to move it from outside his flooring business on Oystermouth Road.
His refusal to move it was the result of frustration at months of roadworks which he says has resulted in a dramatic drop-off in trade because his shop had been left isolated.
The works are part of Swansea Council's major project to create a European-style boulevard linking-up the city centre with Swansea's sea front.
Mr Charvis said he had been asking the authority to allow a temporary access to his store, to allow deliveries and customers to reach his business.
Swansea Council said it had been in talks with Mr Charvis about the road works and his business can still be accessed from York Street.
But his vehicle was finally taken away by contractors, who were unable to complete a trench they have been digging because of the blockage.
Among those also frustrated at the roadworks who left comments on the Evening Post website was Chelsea1955, who wrote: "Same old story with Swansea Council not interested in local business. Look at the Kingsway is now all boarded up, or full of charity shops because of the bendy bus that closed that part of town.
"Now this dreadful mess in the main road into Swansea, I can get to Cardiff quicker on a Saturday and park up with out hassle
"If Mr Charvis is after some compo the council should just pay up before he shuts down with more job losses."
Jamesuk added: "Swansea Council are a disgrace. Don't forget after this work is finished the roads and pavements have to be maintained and paid for by us.
" The same thing is happening as it did on the Kingsway, businesses are being badly let down.
"I have witnessed four accidents since the road works started and a number of near misses coming into Swansea. Thank you Swansea Council my shopping is now done in Cardiff."
But some readers also backed the authority for their long-term planning.
AFairVoice9 said: "These road works and boulevard scheme are a result of public feedback to what they feel is needed in Swansea. This sort of feedback has also come from businesses.
"Whilst the inconvenience is not ideal it is working towards what all of the businesses and the public of Swansea need.
"These are all to make an accessible, attractive and prosperous city centre.
"I'm sure that Colin and other business owners won't be complaining once the boulevard has been completed and is showing to be a much needed success."