Rally in Penplas, Swansea, over short-listed Gypsy and traveller site
RESIDENTS campaigning against a second permanent Gypsy and traveller site in Penplas will hold a rally next month.
Organised by the Leo's Community Action Group, they will be protesting against a possible site in the Penderry ward.
It is one of five shortlisted potential sites currently put out to consultation by Swansea Council.
On behalf of the action group, Louise Bolam said: "We are expecting a big turn out. Around 200 people attended the first one last year.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
"We have also invited our local councillors."
The rally will be held on Saturday, February 23, at 11am on the Milford Way site.
Mrs Bolam said the action group was working hard to make sure everyone in the area knew about the consultation process.
She said consultation forms would be handed out on the day of the rally for anyone who wanted to make their views known.
"Some people still don't know about the consultation," she said.
"We want to make sure everybody is informed."
The consultation on the five potential sites runs until the end of March. Swansea residents are also able to view all the documents relating to how the short-list was drawn up.
The other four sites are the former greyhound stadium (Cockett); the rear of Parc Melyn Mynach (Gorseinon); proposed cemetery (Gorseinon); and Swansea Vale (Llansamlet).
Anyone wanting to get involved can go online, visit their local library or book an appointment to speak to an officer between January 21 and 25.
David Phillips, Swansea Council leader, said: "The council wants the public to play a full part in this process. No decisions have been made about any site and none will be until after the public consultation."