Port Talbot community in shock after body found
POLICE are not treating the death of a man in Port Talbot as suspicious.
The town has been left in shock following the discovery of a body on waste ground in the Baglan Moors area.
Police were called to the far edge of playing fields off Seaway Parade and near Western Avenue at 4.30pm on Sunday where a 45-year-old man had been found.
On Sunday evening officers were still at the scene shortly before 8pm, along with the body.
The identity of the man has yet to be released, but police have confirmed that he was aged 45.
A South Wales Police spokesman confirmed that it was a non-suspicious death and that an investigation is continuing.
“We are not looking for anyone in connection with the death,” he said. “The coroner has been informed.”
Scores of people have expressed their shock of the incident on Facebook and Twitter.
Aberavon councillor Tony Taylor said: “Our thoughts are with the family and friends and we hope that the police come to a determination soon.”
Kevin Cannings from Afan Dale, which is near to where the body had been found, said he had been out of the area but had been informed of the incident.
“It is surreal,” he said. “We don’t know the circumstances behind it. It is quite shocking.”
Sandfields East councillor Lella James added that she was very sadden to hear about the death.
“It is shocking for the community of Western Avenue,” she said.