Parents of missing April Jones visit search teams in Machynlleth
The parents of missing April Jones said they are "extremely grateful" for the work being done to find the missing child, a police spokesman said today.
April was last seen at around 7pm on Monday October, 1. She had been playing with a friend on the estate near her home, in Machynlleth, Powys.
April's parents, Coral Jones, 40, and husband Paul, 44, visited the base of the search teams yesterday and met some of the people who are involved in the search for their daughter.
Mr John said the search team’s motivation and commitment to finding the missing five-year-old remains high.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
“I have spent time today speaking with the various search teams and one thing that shone through was their on-going commitment to find April and their motivation. We have to make people take time off to rest between their allocated shifts," he said.
“The coastguard is searching the river from Borth to Towyn every day and the underwater search teams are at the estuary daily. We are all working through a detailed search plan."
“When we moved from a search for a missing person to a search for evidence we rechecked several areas, this is standard practice in police searching as the areas needed to be systematically and forensically searched."
Volunteers are providing a catering service for search teams, he said.
"Their desire to stay involved and do what they can to help is a credit to the community and neighbouring areas. They are contributing to the operation in whatever way they can. This includes donating a variety of items from their time to prepare and serve food to providing gloves and batteries."
Mr John added: “One thing is clear; we will continue to search while we still have viable lines of enquiry.”
47-year-old Mark Bridger is accused of the abduction and murder of April Jones as well as unlawfully disposing of and concealing her body with intent to pervert the course of justice.
Bridger appeared via videolink at Caernarfon Crown Court yesterday.
The judge presiding over the case Mr Justice Griffith-Williams said it was his intention to try the case “at the earliest possible date”.
Mr Justice Griffith-Williams also said he was keen for the case to remain in the North Wales area, because most of the witnesses will be the people of Machynlleth. They will need to be able to get to court to give their evidence, he said.