Measles outbreak reaches Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire.
Parents in West Wales are being warned an outbreak of measles in Swansea is spreading to Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire.
The Hywel Dda Health Board is supporting a Public Health Wales' plea for parents to ensure children are given two doses of the three-in-one measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine as cases across West Wales continue to rise.
So far in 2013, there have been 23 cases across Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion compared to five during the same period in 2012.
Nine are in the Llanelli, Gwendraeth and Ammanford area, three in Carmarthen, nine in Pembrokeshire and two in Ceredigion
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
Letters are currently being sent to families in Llanell and the Gwendraeth Valley, where cases of Measles are up 300% compared to the same period in 2012.
There are over 300 cases in the Swansea area.
Parents are being urged to ensure their children are fully protected from this preventable but life-threatening disease. Immediate arrangements should be made with their GP for their children to receive the MMR vaccine if they are not fully protected.
However, the health board says the vital applies to all parents and guardians if the spread of this disease is to be halted.
Teresa Owen, Director of Public Health for Hywel Dda Health Board said: "There is an ongoing outbreak of measles in West Wales.
"We cannot overemphasise the need for children to be vaccinated in order to control this outbreak.
"Even if your child has already had measles in the current outbreak or previously, they still need to have MMR vaccine to get protection against mumps and rubella."