Llanelli volunteers' life-saving aid is praised
VOLUNTEER medics gave vital care to an unconscious teen in Llanelli Market — fearing her heart had stopped.
First responders Clayton Watts and Sarah James used a defibrillator to save the life of a 14-year-old girl who collapsed in Llanelli Market Precinct.
The youngster collapsed on Monday afternoon in Jelfs Health and Herbal Store, and security guard Colin Giess rushed to the scene while a call was made for help from the emergency services.
"There was a young female on the floor who was in difficulty," he said.
"I assisted the first responders."
Trained in basic first aid, Mr Giess, who works for Securicall, helped Mr Watts and Ms James in their attempts to revive the unconscious teen.
"It was myself and the manager there," he said.
"I helped with the defibrillator and helped with making sure the area was safe.
"We all worked together and she left alive."
Mr Geiss had been trained in using a defibrillator — which gives the heart an electric shock and is used in some cases of cardiac arrest — and was confident in helping to revive the teen.
"I would like to say full praise to the first responders for their swiftness and professionalism," added Mr Geiss, who has been offered counselling in case he should need help in coming to terms with the incident.
A Wales Ambulance Service spokesman praised the work of those involved in saving the girl's life.
"This incident shows the value of our volunteers and the service they provide within their own communities," he said.
"We would wish to add our own praise for the work of both Community First responders, and also for the work of the ambulance crew and ambulance officer, all of whom displayed the 'chain of survival' in action to provide this patient with life-saving treatment."
A Dyfed-Powys Police spokeswoman confirmed that officers were also called to the scene at around 4.10pm.
The girl was taken to Morriston Hospital for treatment by an ambulance crew. Her condition was unknown at the time of going to print.