Ian Rush urges Wales to stick with Chris Coleman
IAN Rush believes Wales should keep faith with manager Chris Coleman for their Euro 2016 qualifying campaign, despite their World Cup disappointment.
Coleman has agreed terms on a two-year contract extension with the Football Association of Wales, although he has yet to put pen to paper.
But the former Fulham boss finds himself under pressure after three successive qualifying losses against Croatia, Macedonia and Serbia, the latter of which saw the Dragons slump to the bottom of the Group A table with two games remaining.
Despite seeing his side booed off following Tuesday’s 3-0 defeat to the Serbs in Cardiff, and sections of the crowd demanding his removal, Coleman was adamant he is the right man to lead Wales.
And former Liverpool, Juventus and Wales striker Rush, who won 73 caps and scored 28 goals for his country, believes the FAW should stick with him.
“You have to back him,” he said.
“In the modern game, people can be guilty of looking for instant success, and success sometimes does not happen.
“But who is going to do it instead of Chris, if they want someone Welsh in charge?
“Give him another two years and see what he can do. It starts from now, if we are serious about doing something for Euro 2016.
“They were tough circumstances in which he took the job (after Gary Speed’s death), but you have to move on, although it can be easier said than done,” Rush added.
“I thought we could finish second in this group, but it has gone now and the result in Serbia last year was a big blow as it is not great to be three games in thinking you cannot qualify.
“You have to give supporters hope which is why finishing on a high would be a boost for a Euros where a larger number of teams will qualify, and we want to have a good seeding for that.”