House fire: Smoke alarm saves five year old child from fire at Capel Iwan, near Newcastle Emlyn
A FIVE year old child was saved from a house fire because the family had a working fire alarm, the emergency services said today.
Fire crews from Newcastle Emlyn, Crymych and Cardigan attended the fire at Capel Iwan early on Saturday morning.
A fire spokeswoman said: "On arrival, the roof was well alight and was tackled using two breathing apparatus and one main jet.
"A working smoke alarm woke the occupants and ensured their safe removal, including that of a five-year-old girl who was sleeping in the loft."
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
Watch Manager Emyr Jones added: "If this alarm had not operated, I am convinced that we would now be dealing with a tragedy. The occupants were very lucky indeed."
"This incident really goes to show how vital a working smoke alarm can be in saving lives. If you haven't got one, please get one today."
If you think you need a free home fire safety, including the fitting of free smoke alarms where necessary, please call 0800 169 1234.