GCSE sample questions: The answers
HERE are the answers to the sample GCSE questions:
1. Find the highest common factor of 90 and 105.
2. Rearrange the following formulae to make y the subject.
y2 – t = g
Answer: y2 = g + t
y = (+)(g+t)
3. By factorising, solve the following quadratic equation.
8x2 + 18x – 5 = 0
Answer: (2x + 5)(4x – 1)
x = -5/2 AND x = 1/4
4. What is a tropism?
Answer: growth (response) shown by plants; to a one sided/unilateral stimulus
5. State what is meant by a hydrocarbon.
Answer: a compound containing hydrogen and carbon only
6. The nearest star to our solar system is called Proxima Centauri. It is about 4 light years away. State what the term “4 light years” means.
Answer: the distance/ how far light travels in 4 years
7. Name the chemical used to test for starch.
Answer: Iodine (solution)
8. Give the electronic structure of sodium, Na.
9. State Newton’s first law of motion.
Answer: Object continues in its state of rest/inertia/motion/constant speed [in a straight line] (1) unless acted upon by an [external/unbalanced] force (1)
10. Sodium reacts vigorously with water. Give two observations you would make when a small piece of sodium is added to a trough of water.
Answer: floats, moves, fizzes / bubbles, goes into a round shape / melts
How did you get on?