Drivers ignore police call to hang up their mobiles
MOTORISTS in Swansea have been caught using their mobile phones while behind the wheel just days after a police crackdown was announced.
These drivers were spotted driving while using their mobile phones between 11.22am and 12.02pm on Friday, October 4, on Victoria Street, Swansea.
Last week four Welsh police forces announced an All-Wales Anti-Mobile Phone Driving Campaign, which will run throughout October.
Even though the law was changed in February 2007, where using a mobile phone while driving could result in three penalty points and a £100 fine, drivers in Wales are continuing to persist with the dangerous activity and breaking the law.
Almost 1,000 motorists were caught using their mobile phones while at the wheel during the 2012 campaign, with 242 on-the-spot fines being handed out.
The latest campaign is being led by South Wales Police and will see extra patrols on Welsh roads in a bid to catch more drivers red handed.
The campaign will run from October 15 to October 31, to promote the safety message and raise awareness of the dangers and penalties among motorists.
Assistant chief constable for South Wales Police Richard Lewis said the consequences of a lapse in concentration when driving can be devastating to road users and pedestrians.
He said: "As soon as a driver answers a call, looks at their phone to text or read a message, their concentration is affected and as a result, they cannot give their full attention to the road and risk becoming involved in a collision."
Mr Lewis said the increased use of smart phones posed an extra danger, with drivers not only able to call or text but access applications, e-mails or the internet.