Derwen Fawr residents fear flooding if development given go-ahead
HUNDREDS of residents have again raised fears of flooding if a housing development in Derwen Fawr is given the go-ahead.
Developers want to build 65 new homes on the former Emanuel school playing fields, but people living nearby insist the site is not suitable.
They claim the area is vulnerable to flooding, and that measures proposed by developers to tackle the issue will simply move water elsewhere.
Last year, residents held a meeting at the Vivian Hall in Blackpill, where residents discussed the proposals, and claimed five major flooding incidents had occurred in the area between 1978 and 94, although the developers' prospectus claimed the most recent major flood was in 2005.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
Other concerns raised included an increase in traffic on the narrow Derwen Fawr Road if the development went ahead, an over-intensification of development and loss of habitat for wildlife.
A 262-name petition has now been handed over to the authority, objecting to the plans.
Gay Mitchell, chairman of Blackpill Derwen Fawr and Mayals Residents' Association, said: "Residents object to the proposal to build on this land, and have no confidence, particularly at this time when several floods over the past few weeks have inundated houses, gardens and roads, that the flood mitigation proposals will protect their homes and property."
Applicants PMG Estates Ltd and Global Horizons Trust said proposals for the homes included measures to reduce the flood risk for some 25 Mumbles Road homes whose gardens backed on to the site.
They included increasing the height of the site, reinforcing flood defence embankment around the King George V playing fields, and the creation of culverts.
A date has yet to be set by Swansea Council to hear the application, and two associated applications relating to flood mitigation proposals.