Government to consider store plans position
THE Welsh Government is considering its position over a plan to build a Sainsbury's store in Cross Hands — after the firm withdrew a similar application in Llandeilo.
The supermarket giant announced on Thursday it would no longer pursue plans for a new store in Llandeilo so it can focus on the Cross Hands application. Both applications had been called in by the Welsh Government.
A Welsh Government spokesman said it would consider whether the Cross Hands application still needed to be decided by ministers or whether it could be referred back to Carmarthenshire Council.
"We are considering our position with the Cross Hands application," he explained. "The Government hopes to make a decision next week."
Sainsbury's plans to build two stores in both Llandeilo and Cross Hands had sparked a mixed reaction.
Kim Thomas, Cross Hands county councillor, said she was very pleased that Sainsbury's still wanted to build in the community.
"I am overjoyed. Because of the delay, we would have now had jobs created here," she said. "It was supposed to happen in September/ October, but was held up and there would have been jobs created in my village ready for Christmas.
"I am very, very disappointed that things were stopped, but I am very grateful to Sainsbury's that they are going ahead with the Cross Hands Sainsbury's. It will create a lot of jobs, it is going to be fantastic."
A Sainsbury's spokesman said: "We will now be withdrawing our application in Llandeilo and focusing on the Cross Hands application in Carmarthenshire, which will bring forward the remediation of a larger development and create hundreds of new jobs in the area, as well providing land for housing, a new health centre and care home.
"I apologise sincerely to all those who have supported us through this process.
"We are disappointed we have been unable to bring a new store to the wonderful town of Llandeilo."