Centre cleared by fire scare
A FIRE scare caused the evacuation of 56 people from Carmarthen Leisure Centre.
When black smoke came from a hand-held hair dryer 56 users were involved in a safe partial evacuation, a council spokesman said.
The alarm was raised at around 6.30pm on Wednesday and disruption lasted less than 35 minutes as the building was declared safe and the faulty appliance isolated.
Pool users were allowed to sit at poolside until firemen and county council Careline Service declared the building safe.
The faulty appliance had been traced by a council lifeguard before the brigade arrived.
The spokesman said only dry sports users had to leave the building and most resumed activities after the incident.
He added: "The full safety protocol came into play even though no alarms were triggered and a flawless evacuation procedure carried out with co-operation and little inconvenience to centre users. No-one was hurt in the incident."
A Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman confirmed it received the call at around 6.30pm but that a small fire was extinguished before firefighters' arrival.