Campaigners want 10,000 to oppose travellers site bid
CAMPAIGNERS are looking to raise a 10,000-name petition in the fight to block a second travellers' site in Llansamlet.
They are rallying residents to go out and collect as many signatures as they can in opposition to what they believe is a new travellers' site being considered for Peniel Green Road.
Llansamlet already has one permanent site along with one family camped temporarily on the Swansea Vale park and ride.
Earlier this year it was revealed Swansea Council was looking at five potential sites to meet its legal obligation to offer "adequate provision" for travellers.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
The other sites are the old greyhound stadium, Cockett; the rear of Parc Melyn Mynach and the proposed cemetery, both in Gorseinon; and Milford Way in Penderry.
James Myles, from the Llansamlet Against a Second Traveller Site campaign group, said he hoped people would rally around to help the campaign result in a successful conclusion.
He made the call at the Manor Park Country House Hotel meeting in Clydach, which was attended by 250 people.
Mr Myles said: "We need the help of everyone across the Llansamlet ward. The people of Penlan have put together a 1,000 name petition opposing the travellers site in Penderry.
"We want to blow that petition out of the water — we want to send a message to our rival wards that whatever petition we put together will have a demoralising effect on our rival wards."
He said it was important to get people out in force collecting names towards the mammoth petition.
"If most of us in this room were prepared to get involved we could easily bring in a petition of 10,000."
They have been leafleting homes in the Llansamlet area for the last eight weeks to raise awareness of the campaign.
But Labour Party member Bob Clay said he did not believe there should be a conflict between different wards, although it was important to raise as many signatures as possible. He said: "We need to have a massive petition — but I don't think it's a competition with Penderry."
During the meeting claims were further made that the former West Glamorgan County Council had formulised what became known as the West Glamorgan Agreement, meaning there would not be another travellers' site in the Llansamlet area. But a Swansea Council meeting was previously told there was no record of the agreement.
A total of £600 was raised towards the campaign before the two hour meeting was over.
Llansamlet Councillor Uta Clay said: "This campaign is not an anti-traveller campaign, it's a campaign against a second traveller site in Llansamlet."