Assembly Member gives backing to campaigners fighting second travellers site in Llansamlet
AN Assembly Member has given his backing to campaigners fighting a second travellers site in Llansamlet.
Swansea East AM Mike Hedges addressed a meeting of more than 150 people living in the area who are protesting against proposals by Swansea Council to include land at Peniel Green among a list of potential sites to house travellers.
Mr Hedges said: "I don't believe there should be another site in Llansamlet but gypsy travellers deserve and need a second site and it is up to Swansea Council to try and find another one which is suitable.
"I support the aim of the campaigners not to have a second site in the Llansamlet area.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
"I belive that one site in the Llansamlet area is sufficient."
The meeting was organised by the Llansamlet Against a Second Traveller Site (LA2TS) campaign group and involved councillors and community leaders giving their perspective on developments.
Committee chairman Hilary Jenkins told residents Swansea Council had been forced to concede a key legal point on how any final decisions would be made.
A petition of opposition against a second travellers site in Llansamlet has now been signed by 3,600 people.
The news comes as meetings are due to be held by the Gorseinon and Grovesend Town Councils next week to draw up their objections to potential sites for travellers in Gorseinon.
People living in Swansea have until the end of March to give their views on proposals by Swansea Council to create a second gypsy and traveller site in the city.
Swansea has only one legal site, which is currently full.
The local authority is looking at providing further accommodation.
A three-month consultation is under way, seeking views on work carried out so far in the search for the most appropriate location for the site.
A spokesman for the local authority said: "We would urge residents to get involved in the consultation currently under way in the city.
"Residents have until the end of March to share their views with us about the work carried out so far in the search for a second gypsy and traveller site in Swansea."
Swansea Council leader councillor David Phillips said: "It's important that we give everyone the opportunity to have their say on the process we are using to find a new site.
"No decisions have been made about any site and none will be until after the public consultation has been completed."
Visitors to the civic centre can view an exhibition which will be on display from March 18 - 28.
The local authority has also developed a dedicated website with information for people looking to take part in the consultation.
All the online information is also available at libraries.
Consultation forms are also being mailed out to people in Swansea by the council.